I have experienced this issue with a provider with Asterisk 1.2, 1.6 & 1.8.

I never got to the root cause of the problem however it used to occur quite frequently, now it appear to occur once every month or two - haven't seen it occur for a while now but then I have been incrementally updating my version of asterisk, currently 1.8.11.0

The preceding events I observed was that there would be a timeout communicating with the peer followed by retry attempts and finally a message reporting "Wrong password", this is the point at which registration attempts stopped despite the value in sip.conf being set to 0.

As per your observations a 'sip reload' gets things going again.

When the problem was occurring within a 24-hour period I set up an SPA-942 phone to register to the service and captured packets between them, I don't recall seeing any issues over a period of a few days with the SPA phone hence was baffled by this phenomenon and have been since.

I was considering writing a script to check for the "No Authentications" status and to then issue a 'sip reload' but as the problem is rarely seen now I haven't had to do this.

My suspicion to the cause of the problem is that the authentication database at the VSP may have been offline momentarily hence why the response of a wrong password, I wasn't convinced of this as the packet capture of the SPA-942 did not reveal any authentication errors.

Cheers,

Larry.