> >Just to clarify this from a different direction, Oftel/Ofcom approach
these
> >things by say that they are 'technology neutral', i.e. as standard they
> >don't care how the service is delivered, it is the service that is
regulated
> >and not the delivery mechanism. This means in theory the rules for VoIP
are
> >the same for copper, wireless, mobile etc.
> >

> As I understand it that is what the Ofcom VoB discussion next week is
> all about..
>
> The standard line telco's have to be required to provide a service in an
> emegency eg during a power failure, but this is impossible for a VoIP
> provider sine the provider does not have control over the full path or
> the electricity supply.. That is only one example where VoIP cannot be
> regulated in the same way as standard telephone services..

Thats not completely true - UK regulations say that a standard POTS analogue
phone line must work in the event of power failure, and the same is true for
a single ISDN line installation, but nothing else is actually covered - if
you have a PRI ISDN30 install it is actually your responsibily to make it
work in a power failure condition by providing UPS etc - if you want to.
Equally VoIP tends not to fall under this requirement.

I think we can expect that the meeting next week is going to primarily
concentrate on a) 999 emergency calling requirements and b) numbering
issues. Whilst there may be some other coverage of PATS/non-PATS issues* I'm
sure these will be the main focus.

Linus

* Other PATS issues are things like directory enquiries/operator
assistance/providing directories/itemised billing/service for the blind etc.