----- Original Message -----

<snip>

> So here's the proposal: make case-insensitivity a configuration
> option
> for one or two releases.  Document the option (both externally and in
> the configuration file) with large warnings about how switching it on
> is
> DEPRECATED and how it will VANISH IN A FUTURE RELEASE.
>
> That will suit the people who do not wish to conform (they will not
> upgrade), the people who want to conform but need time (will have a
> few
> months to fix and test while still being able to use the latest
> Asterisk
> features) and the people who are already conformant (don't need to do
> anything).
>
> In short, my vote goes for case-sensitivity with a grace period for
> switching over.

From Mark's original e-mail:

"Some of you might be eager to propose a configuration option to
decide which it should be. I'm sick of having hundreds of options
in Asterisk to slightly tweak the behavior one way or another. This
needs to go one way or the other, not be configurable."

I can't overstate how much I agree with this.  A configuration option to
'tweak' the behavior in pbx.c is much more likely to introduce problems than
solve them.  If a clear consensus cannot be reached, I'd err on the side
of doing nothing than put in yet another configuration option.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager