On 10/04/2012 09:29 PM, Brett Lehrer wrote:
I'm running Asterisk 1.8.11.1 and am connected to the nexVortex trunking
service over a DSL line solely dedicated to VoIP usage.  For both incoming and
outgoing faxes, I'm getting a failure rate of just over 25%, and over a handful
of reasons.

Is it natural to have this many problems on a completely digital configuration?
 I'm trying to cut our analog phone line (because it's so expensive), but some
fax machines just don't seem to ever accept a fax.  Many of the failures are on
the same numbers, forcing me to fall back to an old analog fax machine just to
make sure it actually gets through.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences, or is this indicative of a failure
in the setup on my end (or even the trunking service)?

Brett Lehrer
Unexplainable FAX call failures (i.e. not wrong numbers of other obviously wrong things) should be well below 1%. On a dedicated DSL line, if everything is set up properly you should be getting that kind of rate. This is especially true if you are using T.38 and the provider at the far end uses a decent T.38 platform. Across the open internet results are much more variable.

Depending what causes your 25% failures, you may get better results with spandsp than with FFA.

Steve