I believe Asterisk 11 is the first version which allows you to enable and
disable faxdetect on the fly.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-boun...@lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-boun...@lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Warren Selby
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 2:42 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] faxdetect on/off on the fly?

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM, David Cunningham <dcunning...@voisonics.com>
wrote:

        We have all calls going to an AGI, which decides where the number will
get routed to, and if fax detection should be enabled for this call. The choice
should only apply to the current call.

What criteria would determine if fax detection should be enabled?  From reading
this message, what it sounds like is you want the call to go to the AGI, and if
a CNG tone is detected, you want it to go to a specific fax extension.  That's
what faxdetect does.  You enable it on all your lines, and if a CNG tone is
detected, it sends it to the "fax" exten in the current context.  This would
remove your routing AGI form the picture, so I don't think you want faxdetect
enabled on your lines.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but to me, it seems like you're trying to detect a
CNG tone and base your routing decision on that inside your AGI.  Faxdetect
will detect the CNG tone after the call is answered and automatically route for
you.  It's not the kind of thing you want to set on a call by call basis.  If
you're looking to detect a CNG tone inside your AGI, I'm not sure what
mechanism is available for that.

--Warren Selby, dCAP
http://www.SelbyTech.com