On 31/01/13 10:15, Olivier wrote:

2013/1/31 Sebastian Arcus <s...@open-t.co.uk <mailto:s...@open-t.co.uk>>

    On 31/01/13 07:25, Olivier wrote:

        Hello,

        On a LAN, is it possible to install a bluetooth dongle on one
        workstation (at this time, this workstation OS is not specified)
        and use
        it with chan_mobile ?
        I've read some USB over IP (or Ethernet) middleware exist but
        I'm not
        certain I'm looking at the right direction.

        Regards

    Hi Oliver,

    I have used chan_mobile over the years on a number of occasions with
    several different Nokia phones. I would say that even if in theory
    it might be able to work with some USB over IP software for the
    bluetooth dongle, it's probably not worth the hassle in practice.
    It's quite likely that it will create too many problems, which will
    probably outweigh the benefits of what you are trying to do.
    Bluetooth already introduces a certain delay/latency in the
    communication path - by adding and IP link in between, that will
    only get worse.

    Sebastian

Sebastian,

What I had in mind is to use someone's cellphone as a presence detector.
Let me explain:
- as the first thing you take along when leaving a room or location, is
your own cellphone, why not use chan_mobile and a bluetooth dongle on
your on PC (as you're not supposed to be within bluetooth range from an
asterisk server ;-)) to advertise you're away from your desk

- it seems that chan_mobile is not up to expectations for voice delivery
but would it remain the same for presence detection, if may call it this
way ?

Thoughts ?

Hi Oliver,

I'm am quite certain I read a bunch of material about using phones + bluetooth for presence detection. However, any particular reason you are trying to use Asterisk in this combination? I am quite sure there is software out there (I think for Windows and Linux) for bluetooth presence detection. What advantage would Asterisk bring for this scenario?

If you are trying to integrate it with Asterisk so that the phone switches to voicemail etc. - then maybe it is worth giving those usb-over-ethernet solutions a shot. After all, you are not trying to do voice over bluetooth - just detecting the mobile. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with that though. And I wonder what would the security implications be of having all those usb ports virtually connected to the server, but physically located away from the server?

Sebastian