Costa Tsaousis wrote:

Sorry, I was on the wrong topic, canreinvite has
yes|no|update as keywords.
with UPDATE a SIP method UPDATE is initiatied to change the media path.
with YES, a new INVITE is issued within the current call. (a "re-invite")
with NO, the call stays within asterisk.

Sorry for asking this, but in practice, what does these mean?
(yes I know I should look at the FRC... :)
Me too :-)

Olle, I think it is a mater of prioritization. If you put the switched
world in the first priority, yes we should keep numbers. If you put SIP
first, then we should use e-mail like addresses. After some time there
might be another protocol, say XYZ. If you put XYZ first, then you should
choose the method this protocol uses, etc.
Well, Asterisk is what it is today. My goal is to make it work in a
SIP world together with a SIP proxy. I'm not making the decision on what
Asterisk is going to be, I'm trying to understand the idea behind it
and follow it.
This is my case today. I want SIP as primary and I know I will have to
provide numeric callerids in the configuration when interfacing with other
For me, I have alphanumeric extensions with numeric aliases as secondary
in extensions.conf.

I agree with you, but still I think all these should be configuration
decisions, not implementation ones.
I fully agree. Right now, it isn't. It's open for all by default.

/O :-)