I'm trying set up asterisk on an amazon instance in Sydney. It's to use for our kids in Sydney to connect with their friends in the States.

We've found iax works better than sip with these distances. But we now have weird problem: everybody has a cell phone, and it's much cheaper/better to use the house internet connection over the phones wifi. Each cell phone has it's own peer. Each cell phone registers with the server.

The problem is that once a phone has used the server, no other phone can use it. The servers sees all the phones as having the same ip address (though different ports).

iax2 show peers
Name/Username Host Mask Port Status Description gn <ipaddr> (D) 255.255.255.255 1026 OK (101 ms) home/home <ipaddr> (D) 255.255.255.255 4569 OK (85 ms)

but "home" can't make a call:
chan_iax2.c:11157 socket_process_helper: Host <ipaddr> failed to authenticate as gn

gn can make calls:

-- Registered IAX2 'gn' (AUTHENTICATED) at <ipaddr>:1026