I see that in queues.conf there is a maxlen variable to control the maximum size of the queue. So...if you set the queue to a maxlen = 3...my test caller gets dead air if they are queued to a queue with 3 calls already in the queue.

I thought I could increment a variable each time a call is queued and decrement a variable when the call is connected to the agent...however I do not know how to build such a structure in extensions.conf to make this work. It also *seems* like when an agent releases/hangs up/finishes a call...that the incoming caller is disconnected in such a way that additional steps in the dialing plan in extensions.conf are not processed.

Does anyone have a sample extensions.conf I can see that does something like this?

I thought I would try to give call center managers the ability to dial an extension, be authenticated, and then enter a number of their choice to allow them to set how many calls can be in a given queue so that if there are more agents available...the queue can take more calls...and when fewer agents are available...callers might hear a greeting indicating delays and be given the option to leave voice mail. Does that sound like a reasonable idea?

I thought when I feel really crafty I would make a web interface in ColdFusion ( I do not speak PHP yet) and have Asterisk copy config files generated by my ColdFusion application from a cronjob to update the running Asterisk config.

Thanks in advance for any help...this list is great

Jeff