Hi Toney,

Comments inline.

On 07-08-14 12:10, Toney Mareo wrote:
Hello Folks,
I looking to migrate a pbx from one server to another. The original server has
this ISDN card:

00:00.0 ISDN controller: Cologne Chip Designs GmbH ISDN network Controller
[HFC-4S] (rev 01)

The new server:
00:00.0 I2O: Digital Equipment Corporation StrongARM DC21285 (rev 04) << AVM
ISDN Controller C4

Now I'm not fully aware of both's cards functions since the manuals are very brief. What
I heard is that the later card does not support some NT commands what I might going to
need at this migration. I can't really say if one card is "better" than the
other one.
Unfortunately the two uses completely different drivers. The first card uses
dahdi, the second uses capi. I want this migration go as smooth as possible
with the least downtime so I looking for some help
maybe someone has more experience with these cards.

In the past I have used Eicon Diva Server cards with chan_capi for years and they worked great. I

I also read something about CAPI uses completely different dial plans.
So all the Asterisk configurations are migrated from the old server to the new
one.

That is correct although the differences/changes you need to make are limited. Adjusting the Dial command will go a long way.

By following this guide:
http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/avm_c4.html

I have the C4 modul loaded. My asterisk box is Asterisk 1.6.0.26-FONCORE-r78
(Trixbox).

That Asterisk version is rather old and assuming that's the old Trixbox CE it is without security updates since 2012. I recommend you use a fresh install of something like CentOS 6.5 + all updates and Asterisk 11.11.0 (or later if available) with the latest dahdi-linux, dahdi-tools and libpri releases. Also get the latest chan_capi from here: ftp://ftp.chan-capi.org/chan-capi/ The version with -HEAD in the name has the latest fixes and is the one I always used.

How can I see that this C4 card is really working from asterisk?

Once you have the AVM C4 kernel module loaded and Asterisk with chan_capi is installed and capi is enabled in the Asterisk config, start Asterisk and then you should have a 'capi' command in the CLI. Executing it should show you info about the status of your ISDN channels.

What is the difference between the chan_dahdi.conf and chan_capi.conf?

One is for DAHDI supported cards and the other is for CAPI cards like the Eicon Diva Server and the AVM C4.

Can't I just tell it somewhere to use the new card and I don't have to touch
the existing dialplans etc?

Nope.

HTH,
Patrick