Some firewalls have a 'consistent NAT' option that needs to be enabled, otherwise you get the symptoms described.

While reading about NAT, I came across this web site:
http://nattest.net.in.tum.de/
The test tool looks at various NAT related properties and prints the results related to TCP/UDP binding properties, TCP/UDP hole punching, etc.

In my case a very short value was reported for the UDP timeout, such that depending on the sequence of packets, the entry in the mapping table might already have been deleted. This could explain the random nature of my connection problem. Port predictability does not seem to be a problem.

Does that make any sense?
jg