On 29/04/2016, at 3:46 am, A J Stiles <asterisk_l...@earthshod.co.uk> wrote:

> <snip>

> There is no reliable way to distinguish whether a phone was answered by a
> human being or a machine.
>
> If you can't just disable voicemail on all your SIMs then you will need to
> find out how long each carrier will wait before diverting to voicemail, and
> then make sure the timeouts in your Dial() statements are short enough not to
> trigger the carrier's voicemail.  Then use Asterisk's VoiceMail() application
> to record any message your caller might leave.
>
> <snip>

To make things worse, in the country I reside not one of the cellular telcos
have the option of disabling voicemail! If you disable voicemail they still
terminate the call and instead play a message to the effect of 'This user has
disabled voicemail. Goodbye'.

We also can't rely on timeouts because if the destination cellphone is out of
coverage or turned off then the telco will drop to VM (or no-VM warning) almost
immediately.

Unfortunately for us, the only option is to code up a routine that checks for
acceptance confirmation from the destination human, a-la what John was
describing in FreePBX.

Pete