On 9/1/2016 6:55 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
So does the Dial command go directly to the registered device or does
it use the extension?
Yes, that's why you provide the technology part (SIP/, IAX/, DAHDI/)
   I was assuming that it was going to the
extension's voice mail if it wasn't there but that's in the extension
dialplan and I suspect that the extension is irrelevant and only the
SIP registration matters.  That would be a good thing since many
extensions also ring the user's cell phone and that would be annoying
if they were at home when someone came to the office door.

If the target device has a forward configured, I believe Asterisk will dutifully ring the forward number like it was told, but could be wrong.

Otherwise, it'll only go to voicemail, in asterisk, if you tell it to in the dialplan. Could it be going to voicemail on a forward somewhere?

Perhaps my problem was that one of the users was removed from sip.conf
but their phone was still in the above plan.
In my experience, that too should not be a problem. I've got the same dial command structure, ringing multiple SIP/extensions in one dial command. I have some instances where the SIP entry in sip.conf no longer exists, and some instances where the device is not registered, and asterisk just displays a warning and continues on.
For example, user2 leaves
the company, is removed from sip.conf but we forgot to remove him from
the door buzzer extension.  That might give me the behaviour that I was
seeing.
I don't think so. At least I don't see that.

Mark

Join the Asterisk Community at the 13th AstriCon, September 27-29, 2016
     http://www.asterisk.org/community/astricon-user-conference

New to Asterisk? Start here: