On Mon, 3 Oct 2016, Jonathan H wrote:

I've googled and I'm probably missing something pretty newbie 101 here, but is there any way, or fiddle, that I can play some audio to let the caller know that their weather forecast is being fetched, which the two agis are first recognising and then synthesizing the speech? I thought "background" might do it, but it doesn't seem to work like that.

Did something similar a decade ago :)

I had a credit card processing AGI for an adult audiotext line. The owner was a real stickler for the 'caller experience' and didn't like the dead air waiting for the auth back from the card processor.

My solution was to kick off a thread (the AGI was written in C, so I used pthreads) to play 'and get ready for a good time' and then issue the request to the card processor and waiting for the response in the mainline code.

By the time the prompt finished, I had the response so pthread_join would 'finish' off the thread cleanly and the dead air magically disappeared.

The only 'warning' is not to do any I/O to STDIN/STDOUT in the mainline -- that would violate the AGI protocol and lead to things breaking in weird ways.

--
Thanks in advance,
Steve Edwards       sedwa...@sedwards.com      Voice: +1-760-468-3867 PST

Join the Asterisk Community at the 13th AstriCon, September 27-29, 2016
      http://www.asterisk.org/community/astricon-user-conference

New to Asterisk? Start here: