Thanks for your advice also Colin, I would like to stay away from POTS cards in the server but it is an option if all else fails.

Philipp von Klitzing wrote:
Hi!

What I want to look at having a Small Home Office setup were I can use the 1 BRI for both DID and Internet at the same time.

Is it possible to use something like a FRITZ! ISDN BRI card to have full time Internet on one of the B channels and have the other B channel for * for both incomming and outgoing calls?

Should work. However chan_capi apparently cannot tell if a B channel is already in use by another application (that manages your dial-up). So that means you either need to have devices=1 (instead of 2) in /etc/asterisk/capi.conf to permanently assign one B channel for Internet dialup only, or you live with the fact that once in a while chan_capi will return a busy when you try to use two (outgoing) B channels while Internet traffic is on.

Not sure how i4l works in this respect.

Cool thanks for that.

Would the FRITZ! card be best suited to this or would something else be better suited?

Thanks

David

and even to be able to have 2 BRI's in the future and have them split
between internet and external lines.

Should work, although stability *might* be an issue. There are even reports about 3 cards in one system.

Philipp