On 14/05/2020 16:41, Joshua C. Colp wrote:
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 11:31 AM John Hughes <j...@calva.com <mailto:j...@calva.com>> wrote:

    On 14/05/2020 08:10, John Hughes wrote:

    I am having a problem with one of my callers who is using either
    g729 or alaw.  I can do alaw but not g729 so asterisk should
    negotiate alaw right?  In fact from the sip debug it looks like
    it does, but then I get the dreaded "channel.c:5630 set_format:
    Unable to find a codec translation path: (g729) -> (alaw)" and
    the call hangs up.  Why?

    Last minute thought: Is it possible that the caller is sending
    g729 in RTP even though the SIP negotiation clearly chooses
    alaw?  Maybe I need some RTP debugging.

    And in fact that is exactly what's happening.

    And when I look at the RTP debugging I see the data from the
    remote is:

    Got RTP packet from xx.xx.xx.xx:50644 (type 18, seq 001338, ts
610458, len 000020)

    AAArgh!  Type 18 is g729.  Why on earth is the remote sending me
    g729 when I clearly said the only thing I could do was alaw.

    Is this legal?

    Is the other side broken?

It shouldn't be sending it, but as well we should be ignoring it. I believe we do ignore in modern versions, I can't speak for your old one. As for why... I don't really have an answer.

Ok, so maybe upgrading my asterisk would be a good idea, but I don't think it'll fix this problem, they sent me 6 g729 packets before the communication was cut, I'm pretty sure they've just ignored the results of the negotiation.

I hope I can get them to fix their system...