Andrew Gillham wrote:

<Unavailable ID> wrote:

Hello all,
I'm looking for advice for codec that works best for asterisk. Anyone has real testing with all codecs, specially with G.729. I have tested with single call on few codecs that come with asterisk by using IPTraf and the rate as of below:
ulaw 64 Kbps, sample-based Also known as alaw/ulaw 166kbits/sec
alaw 64 Kbps, sample-based Also known as alaw/ulaw 167kbits/sec
gsm 13 Kbps (full rate), 20ms frame size 66kbits/sec
speex 2.15 to 44.2 Kbps n/a
iLBC 15Kbps,20ms frame size: 13.3 Kbps, 30ms frame size 57.6kbits/sec
G.729 8 Kbps, 10ms frame size license
Have anyone test it with G.729? Please let me know.
Thanks.

Are some of these numbers for the full-duplex traffic?

Ok, my question doesn't even seem that clear to me. :-)

What I mean, is that the G.711 numbers for example look like both directions *combined* so the actual rate would be more like 83Kbit/s. (much like listed on the wiki page)

So for G.711 a/ulaw, gsm, iLBC etc I was wondering if that is a single direction, or the combination of both directions?

-Andrew