I took apart an old broken 3com SIP phone so I could repair it last night and examined
the main board. It is labeled as a NBX motherboard and was manufactured by NBX Inc.
I attached it to my Asterisk system and everything worked except for MWI. The 3com
uses a simple text protocol and Asterisk attempts to use XML. I took pictures of the
main board but forgot to bring them in to work. If anyone wants any detailed info on the
unit, let me know in the next couple of days before I re-assemble the device.

Clif Jones wrote:

The IR device is a 3rd-party piece of hardware from Extended System (now owned by
iFoundry). The SIP phone looks like all of the other 3com IP phones that I have seen
and turning it over with the front of the phone facing up the connectors go from left to
right as follows:
1. Handset connector
2. IRDA (serial) RJ-45 connector
3. PC Ethernet RJ-45 connector
4. Wall Ethernet RJ-45 connector
5. Power adapter

Maybe this will help in comparing the units. I have posted my last SIP firmware
(with appropriate disclaimers) to the list but it is held up in moderator no man's land.