Mine:
snd-pcm 60960 0 [snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss]

Yours:
snd-pcm 65828 0 [snd-pcm-oss]

Note that you don't actually have a sound driver loaded there! You should have snd-nvaudio listed.

If OSS is working under xmms, it looks to me like your kernel has OSS support built in. You need to disable this, otherwise ALSA will get terribly confused and won't work.

You can use either ALSA or OSS, not both. If you use ALSA you can then put an OSS compatibility layer on top of it. But get ALSA working first, then worry about the OSS layer.

Check your dmesg output for ALSA failing to load due to this.

Alternatively, get rid of ALSA entirely and just keep OSS (although this isn't recommended - ALSA is much nicer).

I'm running asterisk 0.7.2 from the portage tree.  Should I upgrade
to v1-0_stable from CVS or is that unlikely to be the issue here?

That's not the issue.

Regards,

Alastair