Barry Fawthrop wrote:

Thanks Willy and others

It seems I am not able to make myself clear on my two problems
I wish to try again, as I'm sure it is not the phones, but
some stupid config problem on my part. I repeat alot of
what I have said in order to try make myself clear.

<SNIP>
That is all problem 1, the phones report busy, while sitting idle

This is a known problem. Sometimes the SNOM's seem to go to BUSY without any cause. At least no indicator is shown in the display. A possible solution is posted here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-SNOM+phones

If it does not solve the problem, try to reset the phone to default settings and power cycle it. With the latest firmware I did not see the problem yet, but I see the other bugs (crash + transfer, I'm busy emailing with SNOM about these bugs).

Problem 2, If I pick up the handset I hear the dialtone (proof the phone is
connected)
When I dial an extension which is set to play the time and date, the * CLI
scrolls the
voice saying date an time. Yet the Handset is silent, Why? If I hear the
dialtone at the
start why does the handset go dead, surely I should hear the voice on the
other side
talking (in this case the * server)?

The dialtone is no indication you can setup an RTP stream. You should test it with the asterisk built in ECHO server. Make sure there is no firewall activated which can block the traffic. If it still doesn't work, check the "sip debug" output for errors or retransmits.

Kind regards,

Geert