Personally, I think VAD is a great service, as well as comfort noise generation to disguise when VAD is working. I'll always encourage methods that reduce bandwidth. Most major developers on Asterisk consider these technologies of low concern since their bandwidth is "unlimited", as they typically sit in a co-lo somewhere (as many programmers of * are providers of service, not consumers.) The reality for most end users is that they are on very restricted pipes that are delivered via a WAN technology (especially for outbound, if you consider residential) and being able to put more customers into expensive bitstreams makes a lot of financial sense.
I agree fully. We need to implement a good timer in the SIP channel,
both for VAD (but that's really in RTP, isn't it?) and for general
SIP timers according to the RFC.

Last week I also learned that DSL in the US is not as fat as DSL
in general is over here. Anything below 384 upstream is nothing you
can sell in Sweden :-)

/O