From: "Jon Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] small linux distro to run * in old boxes

> At 08:01 PM 4/9/2004 +0100, Robb wrote:
>
> >I'm currently working in a Linux Distro, it is  being internal alpha
> >The first to note is  Its currently a 28Mb ISO for installation with
> >asterisk installed with zaptel, and lib pri
> >
> >this includes apache perl PHP, and Mysql
>
> Is there anything in apache thats actually NEEDED?  Perhaps a nice
straight forward "boa" web server can be used?  It would also be nice to
have a super scaled down dedicated box that would rely on a 2nd box for the
database, web support, and such, thus you're fully dedicating the machine to
just *.  I guess it depends how many phones you want to run, and how
streamlined the machine/os needs to be.

> As a side note, I've used "MeshAP", which is a wireless mesh server box
that runs on a small scaled down linux distro.  It has X, web browser,
webcam server, and a bunch of networking type stuff, and it is around 28 meg
as well.  You can actually boot from CD, and a unique ID derived from the
machine, and the box gets it config via http, and runs without needing write
access to the drive.

> Too bad theres not alot of hardware support for FreeBSD, we'd probably
just need a couple of megs.  A "fully functioning" base system would only be
1.44 meg.