Much snipping along the way :-)

Tony Mountifield wrote:
Actually, I have used Zaprtc quite successfully. The only reason you
have to disable kernel RTC support is because Zaprtc is actually a
*replacement* for the standard RTC module. It provides the same
facilities, but includes extra parts for Zaptel use.

Thanks for the very clear explanation. You've given me the confidence to try this too. Hopefully, I'll get to it over the weekend, and get the same results that you are having :-).

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, especially to a 5-day old post!