Stephen Davies wrote:

Hi Alex,

Indeed the call end termination doesn't work on an NTL line.  I'm not
so sure it works too well on other lines either.

I did some work a while back to add detection of the UK busy/hangup
signal on the line, but I never got it working well enough to depend
on it.  The problem is that it is a single frequency tone.  (The US
one is dual-tone).  Women's voices used to sometimes trigger my
detector - causing hangups.

The main practical issue is with voicemail, as you say.

My final solution was to switch to ISDN.

Steve

If you look for the cadence as well as the tone, and look over a couple of cycles before deciding it should be robust.

Regards,
Steve