On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:09:57PM -0400, Jon Pounder wrote:

> > FYI
> > http://www.itbusiness.ca/index.asp?theaction=61&sid=55298
> > did not like this by line in the story
> > t"he CRTC has said it will likely regulate voice over IP the same as other
> > phone services."
> I noticed exactly the same thing and thought the same when I read it earlier.
> CRTC knows nothing about ip and should stay the hell out of it.
> You should not expect the same things out of a voip circuit as you do a
> land line.
> What's next ? Are they going to regulate ftp ?
> Are they going to poke their noses into private voip networks and try to
> regulate that as well ? Where is the dividing line ?

In the UK, Oftel (the telecoms regulator) has already stated that
offering VoIP services is already covered by existing voice regulation,
just because you're transporting voice over a different medium doesn't
make any difference. Of course Ofcom (the new super regulator that has
replaced Oftel and 4 other regulators) has blurred the issue trying to
make allowances specifically for VoB ...

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd Phone/Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
SMS steve-epage (at) gbnet.net [body] gpg 1024D/468952DB 2001-09-19