Hmmmm - I do remember some discussion way back, but I never had any issues
to speak of myself.  I've got a fairly small (but world-wide since I got
offices in Denmark and in Malaysia) setup with 3 asterisk boxes each running
a bunch of local ISDN lines (using Fritz cards) and a mix of Snom,
Grandstream and Zyxel phones and while the Grandstream and Zyxel uses G.711
to the nearest Asterisk box, GSM is used throughout the setup for everything
going via the Internet and for all the Snom phones.