I'm sure there are better ways, but I usually do the following:

1) make sure my current source directory is named something else (see step 3)

2) fetch cvs head

3) mv asterisk to something like asterisk_cvs_head_5_21. This keeps all the old source trees around so that I can easily roll back to any version I've installed previously.

4) cd to the new asterisk directory (whatever you called it in step 3)

5) make

7) asterisk -r

8) show channels to make sure nobody's using it

9) stop now

10) exit asterisk

11) make install

12) restart asterisk

Note that if you don't 'make samples' the stuff in /etc/asterisk won't get torched. This should be fine, assuming that the new version doesn't require any config changes. Naturally, you'll want to poke around in asterisk/configs to see what kind of new options are available.

-brian

Nik Martin wrote:

What is the best way to upgrade a production asterisk box?  make upgrade?  I
don't want my configs messed with, and need the process to go as smooth as
possible.  I fetched and built a new kernel last night, but haven't rebooted
into it.  I'll do that tonight, and then want to quickly upgrade to the
latest asterisk (mainly for zttest.)

Does make upgrade fetch head?

Thanks

Nik