sip://[EMAIL PROTECTED] works perfectly well...

There are many benefits in stability when you use SRV records to find a
SIP proxy. However this requires that you have some sort of load balancing
between the servers.

It was a long time ago anyone mailed [EMAIL PROTECTED] Let's hope
we can prove the benefits of using SRV records for finding SIP servers
so that
* One Asterisk can serve many domains
* Two asterisks can serve the same domain, sharing registration databases
* Asterisk when calling, can try the second or third server in DNS SRV if
  the first one fails to answer

We are not there yet. Working on it :-)

But there are a lot of reasons to turn on DNS srv lookup in sip.conf if
you allow outbound dialling on URL or use it in your dial plan.
If you do not enable SRV records, you can't phone me. There's no
SIP proxy on edvina.net ;-)

(And there's no mail server on edvina.net neither. Wish all those spammers
tried mailing that instead of reading mx records... )

I don't know if anyone sees being able to phone me as a required feature,
but anyway.

/O

Ps. See http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-dns%20srv