Actually, here in Maryland ISDN BRI is cheaper than POTS. POTS business lines are like $20 each, and caller-id is around $8.50 per line. So two lines with caller-id are about $57. On the other hand, a BRI, which has awesome voice quality and includes CLID is $45. If you get a residential ISDN line they can be as cheap as ~$30.

And I agree with whomever said that Verizon doesn't quite get it. Whenever I call about an ISDN line they try really hard to steer me towards DSL. Although if you get to the right business unit they're a little better.

Years ago I had a bunch of AT&T 7506 phones on a BRI with CO-based custom ISDN centrex. It was like having my own $20M switch. Of course convincing them that they *could* do this, and that it was a tariffed service was difficult. There were times I had to fax them copies of the relevant ISDN tariff and pages from the 5ESS provisioning guide.

ISDN can be very, very cool. The Europeans have figured this out, but the US telcos are just waiting to be put out of their misery. Hopefully VoIP will do it.

-brian