----- Original Message -----
From: "Storer, Darren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2004 11:27 AM
Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] Testing UK emergency dialing and LCR.

> It became apparent, back in 1999, when I was part of a team providing
> consultancy to a UK Telco for VoIP VPN launch, that a POTS line would be
> required locally at each branch office for power-fail compliance and to
> ensure that the OACs (Operator Assistance Centres) did not get confused
> about which location the emergency call was originated from. We discussed
> spoofing the branch office CLI "in network" at an SS7 level but that idea
> was shelved as there would have to have been an associated POTS line entry
> in the OAC database in the first place. At that time Cisco CPE had no way of
> utilising the power-fail POTS lines so a red 'phone was provided for use on
> each floor of the branch offices that only had VoIP VPN telephony.

Here in Denmark (where I live) the 112 service also have regular 8 digit phone numbers
to be used for this kind of scenarios. Normally your location and associated 112
service centre will be resolved by the SS7 network thus you only need to know about
the 112 number, BUT, with the indroduction of our new small IP Telephony companies
(<5000 customers) they will (manually) map the appropriate 8 digit phone number to
your 112 entry when you sign-up bypassing the SS7 logic and dial directly the
emergency centre for your area.

My bet is that this also applies for other telco's, the question is if they are
willing to disclose the information or not.

-- Soren