We have a strange echo problem. Maybe echo isn't the correct term. When we make a call f/ a SIP phone (we have several 7960's, some 3coms, and I've even tried a softphone, all on the same 100BaseTX network) to the pstn, if the person I'm calling has a PRI or channelized T1 f/ Bell, then the sound is perfect, couldn't be better. If I make a call to a person with a plain POTS line, I hear everything I say in my earpiece about 1/4 second after I say it. It's very irritating. We have tried 2 different * boxes, using 2 different T1/PRI cards f/ digium.

After calling digium about it, we set echotraining to 800 in zapata.conf. It got better but was still there, if I turn the volume down on the phone, it does "almost" go away, but it's still detectable. No where near as clear as calling a person that has a PRI or channelized T1 for phone service. The POTS persons we call that we do have the echo issue with all say the call sounds perfecto to them.

Am I missing something obvious?

We experience the exact same issue, and like Rich said in a subsequent post, I'm thinking there's a gremlin hiding somewhere in the * code. Everyone said you shouldn't have to even use echo canceling on a T1 PRI, but we do or we get serious complaints, instead of consistent minor complaints. FWIW, it still was around in the 6/29 CVS and we just updated again last night.

For us the echo is a slight faint echo now that we implemented the echotraining=800, but it's still there. We haven't touched TX/RX gain.

We can also give anyone access and a SIP account if that would be helpful.

Best regards,
Ryan Thrash