I actually have a phonejack, not a linejack. So I probably can't help. What does the linejack config file look like?
You need a context specified (like 'default') that has a 's' extension (aka start) that answers the call.
Something like:

[interfaces]
context=default
mode=fxo
format=g723.1
device => /dev/phone0

-Andrew

greg wrote:

I found a message from you to the asterisk users mailing list from 2001. I was
wondering if you got (or still have) an asterisk system working with the
linejack? If so, would you be willing to assist me with mine?

I seem to have things working, and * says that caller ID is coming in, but I
can't get * to actually answer the call.

Thanks,
Greg