Someone mailed me off list and suggested the below:

Tuning these [PCI latencies] should allow you to give your TDM cards
long burst lengths, and make your IDE devices very premptable...

A decent article which has info in PCI latency (and IRQ, etc) is at:
   http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw2.html

I tried it out, and though it did seem to help the problem, it was not a
100% fix. I ended up having to go a Athlon 1800 (don't have the
mainboard model on hand right now) to solve the problem 100%.

I also discovered my SPA-2000's silence suppression was causing a good
chunk of choppiness (much more so then any SS should), so I disabled
that too.

The "cutting out" is completely gone now.

Good luck.

--
Mike Benoit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>