If the purpose is to allow callers to wait for the person to get off of
the phone then couldn't you just implement a sort of camp-on feature in
the dialplan?  Then the caller can choose to hold for the extension or
hit 1 or something to go to voicemail.  I believe that something like
this should work:

exten => 765,1,SetVar(CALLEDEXTEN=${EXTEN})
exten => 765,2,Dial(SIP/20,20,m)
exten => 765,3,Goto(campon,camp,1)
exten => 765,103,Goto(campon,camp,1)

[campon]
exten => camp,1,Answer
exten => camp,2,Wait(1)
exten => camp,3,Background(campon)
exten => camp,4,Background(silence/3)
exten => camp,5,WaitMusicOnHold(30)
exten => camp,6,Goto(default,${CALLEDEXTEN},1)

exten => 1,1,Wait(1)
exten => 1,2,VoiceMail(b${CALLEDEXTEN})
exten => 1,3,Hangup

I found this in the bug notes of bug # 509.
http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0000509

Hope this helps,

Robert Jackson