Although I haven't tried it for Asterisk yet, I use Archlinux (http://archlinux.org/) in my production environments. It's similar to Gentoo. It as a minute disk footprint, most popular software packages are available via it's *pacman* package manager, and you can get it in 2.4 or 2.6 kernel flavors. The Server I am building currently for Asterisk will run the latest build of Archlinux. I'll report back any major issues I may have with it...although I don't expect any. If it runs on Gentoo or Debian, then it will [normally] run on Archlinux.

I gave up on commercial distro's like Red Hat, SuSe and Mandrake long ago.

Cheers,

Johnathan Bunn wrote:

I would disagree, in any type of server environment you should be able
to gain huge boosts from a properly tweaked kernel, I would suggest a
lean distro like console-only gentoo setup with a custom tweaked
kernel, and if compiling a kernel is hard just find some linux-geek
who can ssh to you and build it for you, ( i have built many kernels
like that )