But the provider also has a gateway to provide the possibility to call to the pstn (and the pstn number exists) - so what i tried to achive is to call an external pstn number thru that gateway.
This works if i connect the xlite client directly to the provider - then i can dial the external number.

So it seems that i have to configure asterisk that way, that it is dialing using the user agent !.
How can i do that - how does the configuration look like ?

any suggestions
johannes

Am Do, den 09.09.2004 schrieb Begumisa Gerald M um 20:37:
      On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Johannes Hollerer wrote:
    > I try to dial out through a Provider, but for that i need to be
    > authenticated - it actually does not work !.

For my tests I did not need to be authenticated.  This is what I used in
asterisk:

exten => _7.,2,Dial(SIP/PROVIDER.COM/${EXTEN:1})

When I tried to use your scenario, as below

exten => _7.,2,Dial(SIP/USERNAME:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/${EXTEN:1})

Here's what I get in my logs:

Sep  9 18:10:56 WARNING[137570304]: chan_sip.c:902 create_addr: No such
host: PROVIDER.COM/72312

What I gather from this is that its not legal to Dial() like that.  In my
limited SIP knowledge, it makes sense - you do not need to have a username
and / or password to place calls to extensions that a given provider (e.g
PROVIDER.COM) serves - if they do not serve those extensions, they will
give a "404 Not Found" error.

Hope that helps...

Gerald.