On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:52:56 -0400, John Kington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What about sip softphones that use STUN? I am especially interested in UK
> because my daughter is going to study in London.
At 02:23 AM 9/10/2004 +0900, you wrote: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If she is going to be on a residential ADSL, that shouldn't be a
problem. I have friends in the UK who use both softphones and
Grandstreams behind NAT on BT's ADSL service and we haven't had any
major problems other than softphones locking up the PC or some silly
stuff like that.

Just make sure your Asterisk server is on a public IP address, or if
it is behind NAT, then let her use FWD and use IAX to connect your
Asterisk server to FWD.

I have asterisk running on a machine with a public ip which is pointed to by
dyndns. My wife's sister in France can call using sjphone (sip soft phone).
I have had no problems using asterisk for these calls nor for long distance
through Gafachi. (Did I just be bannished from the mailing list?)
My daughter has a XP laptop with 802.11g. I don't know what Internet access
she will have if any in the student housing. I am hoping she can find a wireless
connection that she can share. I would like to also make it so she can walk
into some place that is a hotspot and make VoIP calls. Would a soft phone
using IAX be more reliable (easier) to use in this situation? I am sure she
will encounter NAT at least once in either situation. Her room does have a
port for telephone but I think she is on her own to get any phone service.
I have signed up with FWD and also have a DID through CallUK. She can
always use that to call back to the US.
Regards,
John