Hi-
I've run extensive load testing with both single and dual P4's and Xeon's
(all at least 2.8GHz), and I've got 6 installed IVR systems of this size in
various configurations.

Asterisk can run 4 E1's (120 channels) in an IVR scenario, but just barely.
With this many simultaneous calls, you may notice a bunch of frame
retransmissions in the error logs, but these don’t seem to effect the calls.
There seems to be lots of call setup overhead, because I notice that shorter
calls (<5 seconds) seem to load the processor more heavily.

For IVR only, I don’t think its necessary to use the Xeon, or really dual
processors for that matter - unless you're going to start doing transcoding
or other processor-loading tasks.

Please see my notes on the Wiki on this topic:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+dimensioning

Regards,
Scott Stingel

Scott M. Stingel