Jason Becker wrote:

I also think GPL violations are rare. But there was a highly publicized alleged violation by Cisco/Linksys:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/6/7/164

To be honest I don't even know the end of that story (if it has ended)... probably some bureaucratic snafu.

AFAIK Linksys admitted their error and published the source, including the full build environment.

http://www.linksys.com/support/gpl.asp

This has resulted in a number of open source firmware projects that add features to the router in question and other Linksys appliances that use Linux.

Linksys/Cisco are now seen as one of the better companies with respect to the gpl.