Here are some others:
a) Log a bug on bugs.digium.com with/without the patch, if they
submitted a patch, also submit a disclaimer, wait for it to be added to
CVS, then ask people to either upgrade, or apply the patch found in bug
#xxxx

That doesn't work. They needed to alleviate their network NOW, not leave their salvation in the hands of programmer X who might be too busy to update the CVS and make the upgrade available for days or weeks...

b) Post the message + patch on their website, send a request for
asterisk users to apply the patch along with some other official notice
(ie, invoice/etc)

That one might work, but they have to get their webmaster involved, maybe do some custom programming, and do tech support for downloading from their site to support an unsupported product. It's not the same as saying "here it is, patch up and run it now". They're saying in effect "if you're smart enough to run an open source PBX like asterisk, you ought to be able to handle a patch".

I'm sure there are other possibilities, but I'm sure you understand by
now!

Yes, I understand perfectly. Alas, I might be the only one.

As such, they should have solved their OWN problem in a responsible way.

Responsible to WHOM? The most important responsbility any business has is to its own survival.

Did they contribute to the codebase, or did they just write/release a
patch without contributing to the asterisk codebase? ie, have they
submitted the patch to the bug tracker *AND* signed the disclaimer.

Who cares? It's obviously a problem with asterisk, the maintainers should be glad to take the patch, look it over, and submit it themselves.

-- Tom