Joe, I think everyone appreciates the fact that you don't like the way Digium handles the licensing and disclaimers.

Brian, haven't you guessed by now that Joe is crusade-happy? Just look at the "top posting" thread and gaze in awe upon the sheer mass of his posts on the subject. If I were a professional psychiatrist I would have additional comments...

[snip]

it allows them the freedom to do side things with Asterisk--yes, with my code and your code and everyone else's code too--in order to make a living, and validate the thought that doing Asterisk as Open Source could be done in a way that Digium could still make some money on it.

It is in fact a trade: Brian etc. contribute code and sign it over, and in return everyone gets to use Mark's product free of monetary charge.

IMO we are perched at the very beginning of the revolution that Asterisk will bring to telephony. I don't mind watching the arguments made about the minutiae of the GPL; I *really* mind seeing Mark's and Digium's motives impugned.

If Digium's main purpose for existing is not "to make money", then why on earth would Mark create the company in the first place? It's a hellofa lot of work to do for kicks. If anyone were that self-sacrificial he probably would have already committed suicide to avoid the possibility of anyone suffocating because of the oxygen he himself breathed, long before he started a company to (gasp!) make money.

-- Tom