An E1 termination can require local power. In that case you will have to provide backup power to it. Some get their power from the central office, in which case this is not a problem.

In our neck of the woods (Australia) the dominant carrier typically deploys one of two solutions:

(a) E1/PRI over copper - I haven't seen this for a long while, but I believe they're line powered;

(b) E1/PRI over fibre - see these all the time, and the transmission rack they install at the customer site includes batteries and a rectifier which typically provides service for a couple of days in a typical installation.

Cheers.