Rich Adamson wrote:

 I'd certainly agree on the IP500. Got one sitting in front of me
 right now. Works great, but learning curve on configurations is
 greater then the Cisco's partially because all config parameters are
 in xml format

I agree, the configuration files are hard to learn, but they are very powerful if mastered.

 (and I can only edit with vi), and trying to find parameters that
 accomplish a needed function is a little difficult.

Having passed the Polycom certification tests for Soundpoint IP (that's a little joke to anybody who's taken them :-)), I can tell you that Polycom recommends a free program called XML Notepad from Microsoft to edit the files.

 Also had problems with a brand new phone; couldn't download software
 directly (only supported through authorized resellers). Polycom
 overnighted last Tuesday; haven't seen it yet. Support is almost
 patterned after Cisco.

My experience has been that their first level support and RMA process are adequate. Not much more, not much less. But the phones themselves are very solid pieces of equipment and very reliable. I'd take them over Cisco any day, since they're so much cheaper for the same or similar hardware. I've been especially happy with the speakerphone. I also like them because they look like business phones, not something you bought for $10 at Radio Shack (*cough* Grandstream *cough*).

Nick