Michael Graves wrote:
[...] Although there have
been a few (very few) times when I've notcied a brief pause after
dialing and found that it had in fact dialed out on the last possible
option.
[...]

The problem of your approach is that if you are out of credit with the first provider, your call will be dropped, not trying the next one, right? After all, I believe that ChanIsAvail (http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+ChanIsAvail) will only check if you can connect to that provider (ip route), not for available funding...

I'm using now something like this:

exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,1,Dial(IAX2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/${EXTEN:1},45)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,2,PlayBack(beep)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,3,Dial(IAX2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/${EXTEN:1},45)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,4,PlayBack(beep)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,5,Dial(IAX2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/${EXTEN:1},45)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,6,PlayBack(beep)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,7,Dial(IAX2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/${EXTEN:1},45)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,8,Playtones(congestion)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,9,Wait(3)
exten => _91NXXNXXXXXX,10,Hangup

I know after every "beep" that I changed the provider (out of credit? dialing error? no connection?), and if the call is ringing after 45 seconds and I hear a beep, I will hangup. Not the best, but I believe is the best failover solution (for a small company/home office at least).