I think that all you have to do is where you define the codecs for the extention/protocol and asterisk will take care of the rest...

[sip2101]                                               [sip2102]
allow=g711                                            allow=g729

Asterisk will make the conversion on its own... I could be wrong .... but I think that is the way it works....

Sean

kido noagbodji wrote:

Hello,
Is there an utility for asterisk for codec conversion? I tried google but i haven' got anything.
I am trying to initiate a call with G711 codec to asterisk and i would like asterisk to call a gateway with an g729 codec, therefore making a codec conversion from g711 to g729. I know chan_oh323 does it by specifying the OUT_CODEC variable, but chan_h323 does not. And i was wondering is there is a general way of doing that.
Thanks
K.