Hi guys,

I've got a quick feature suggestion to solve a problem that I don't think is readily solvable having to do with an "after hours" message, playing only during (or rather outside) specified times.

I know all about the helpful feature that already exists which allows you to tack on a cron-ish specification of time, date, month, etc. to the end of an "include =>" statement to conditionally include it.

However, I've been thinking about a feature that'd be great (and possibly not difficult to code, though probably beyond my immediate Asterisk coding skills) for helping to implement an after hours w/ optional override feature, similar to what this poster mentioned:

 http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-November/071460.html

I think it'd be great if we had the option to conditionally include contexts based *either* on time [the existing capability] *or* based on a general Boolean expression [just like the capability in GotoIf's, e.g.] or at least something similar to that power, where you could examine the contents of a GlobalVar and decide to include a context based on the variable.

Am I correct in my understanding that this currently does not exist? Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Has it already been suggested (I didn't exactly find a reference anywhere yet)?

For the record, I should mentioned I appreciate there are many ways to solve this with existing capabilities, and I have managed to hack together a solution that mostly works. I was just a bit wistful while mucking up my previously neat looking extensions.conf with some not-so-clear code to handle this. (I ended up using a combination of Macros & GotoIf/Times). It seems to me that what ended up taking me a 5-10 extra lines of code, and still doesn't give me perfectly what I want would be trivially solved (with like one line of extra code) if we had the feature I'm suggesting.

Thanks to all the developers for a wonderful, flexible, robust Open Source PBX solution.

John Lawler