So I thought of installing a combination of four pci cards in the
machine, and everybody on the list just keeps telling me it won't work.

You have 5 POTS lines and 4 X100P cards? Sounds like a complete drag...
At any rate, why don't you buy a TDM400P with 4 FXO ports? I've bought one off digitnetworks with UPS shipping and it was delivered under a week. Not bad for half around the world trip :-)

I have installed successfully more then four cards in a machine before.
I had a firewall with eight network interfaces (one quad card, one duo
and two singles)

Well I also ordered a X100P clone and it was fighting for IRQ 10 with the ethernet card and the existing ISDN card. I had to unplug, reboot, shut down, replug, reboot... drag. Sticking 5 X100Ps might work but then again maybe not... I've never tried it anyway.

Yet, people claim it won't work because of lack of IRQs, and that it's
not related to Digium.

What am I missing?

I think it's a good question and I am wondering the same thing. What's up with that? I thought IRQs were a thing of the past...