On 2004.12.17 05:42 Sergio Serrano wrote:
Hi all,
    again I try configure Hylafax with asterisk. I would like
configure
Asterisk in the next way:
        1)An incoming fax go into through X100P
        2)Asterisk detects Fax and redirect fax to Hylafax

Is it possible?

Yes, but it may not be as pretty as you like, and it may not function as well as you hope.

Using faxdetect in your zapata.conf file will get practically all of the faxes coming in to the X100P routed to the "fax" extension. The trick, then, is how to get HylaFAX at that fax extension. There are a number of different ways to do it, but in each case, in the end, the idea is to get HylaFAX and Asterisk communicating at an Asterisk FXS point. So you could do a number of different arrangements:

  X100P -> Asterisk -> SPA-2000 (ATA) -> Modem -> HylaFAX

or

  X100P -> Asterisk -> TDM400P (FXS) -> Modem -> HylaFAX

but, at that point you probably would be better off without the X100P like this:

  TDM400P (FXO) -> Asterisk -> TDM400P (FXS) -> Modem -> HylaFAX

I will warn you now, however, that the analog-to-digital and then digital-to-analog conversions that are required in these arrangements seem to cause some problems. You may never notice the problems if you use ECM on the receiving modem, but if you pay attention to the ECM logging, you may notice that you'll get more data corruption (and thus retransmissions of data) than you would if you just had the modem plugged into the POTS line directly. I don't know if that's an error on the part of Asterisk, or on the part of all of the ATAs that I've heard mentioned used in this situation. In fact, I've even heard of that same problem when using a TDM card instead of the ATA. Maybe it's just an inherent problem with the A->D & D->A conversions. I don't know.

In any case, currently the best way (the way without any data corruption as I mention) to interface Asterisk and HylaFAX is to keep everything digital...

  TE405P -> Asterisk -> TE405P -> T1 Modem (Patton 2977) -> HylaFAX

But this requires more expensive hardware and more expensive lines and is probably beyond the scope of your project since you're talking about faxdetect and X100Ps.

There are some "futuristic" arrangements that could be done conceivably with some tools that are available, such as spandsp or t38modem, but currently there is no way to interface t38modem with Asterisk and no way to interface spandsp directly with HylaFAX.

Lee.