Ed Robbins wrote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear.  The process of dialing 911 via * is a given, what
I'm concerned about is those situations in which you have a power failure
and * isn't available.  My contingency is to have a phone that is directly
connected to the PSTN and simply turn the ringer off so that it isn't
bothersome during normal operation.  Given a power outage we could use
that phone, but again it becomes an issue of training non-family members.

Ed

Sorry about that, was following a half dozen threads. Wasn't sure on the exact details of what you were after.

As for power failure options, you have several. The wiki lists quite a few good ideas. Depending on the type of phones you use, I think power-fail-switches are the best option, as your phones immediately become POTS connected phones. For IP phones, POE with a central LARGE UPS and/or generator would be good. The generator would have other benefits as well.

-Chris

--
Christopher L. Wade                     Unistar-Sparco Computers, Inc.
Senior Systems Administrator                            dba Sparco.com