After looking at the source I had also tried to increase the buffer size
from 8000 to 16000, but that made other codecs (like lin_to_g729) choke, and
I still had the problem...

I like speex and would like to use it (as I find ilbc a bit too scratchy)

I am running Asterisk CVS-HEAD-11/16/04-17:19:53 and speex-1.0.4 libraries
on Gentoo Linux.

The best sugestion that I can offer is that I saw the same problem and could not resolve it but after upgrading * to CVS after the 12/10 it went away. Never did find a solution and gave up looking as it solved it.

It also fixed some SIP issues I had and they went away aswell.

Sorry that might not be the answer you are looking for but thats what
worked for me.

David

You're right... after wiping my asterisk directory and doing a new CVS checkout, installing Speex 1.1.6, it now works... I do wonder what has changed though as on no list there is a mention of a fix (other than yours David)

Walter.